Biofuels: ethical issues
Concerns over energy security, economic development and climate change are driving the development of biofuels.
This report sets out an ethical framework to guide policy making for both current and future biofuels and recommends that there should be a set of overarching ethical conditions for all biofuels produced in and imported into Europe, including:
- Biofuels development should not be at the expense of human rights
- Biofuels should be environmentally sustainable
- Biofuels should contribute to a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions
- Biofuels should adhere to fair trade principles
- Costs and benefits of biofuels should be distributed in an equitable way