Looking forward – Council considers future work topics
The Council held its annual Forward Look seminar on 13 May, where it considered possible future work topics. This year, three new topics were discussed by Council members and invited experts:
- Funding pressures in the NHS
- Complementary medicine
- Sports science and medicine
- Current and potential future impacts of funding pressures on the NHS
- Possible ways of dealing with such pressures, including user charges in healthcare
- The role of complementary healthcare in the NHS
- Difficulties in evaluating the evidence-base in complementary medicine
- Anti-doping in sport and the challenge of advances in science
- Ethical issues around enhancement in sport, the responsibilities of healthcare professionals, and the pressure on athletes to perform despite potential risks to their health.
Have your sayWe have a rolling programme of work and would like to hear from you with your ideas about bioethics issues that the Council should be looking at over the next few years. You can suggest a topic of your own, or send us your comments and thoughts on this long list summary of future work topics that have already been suggested. Find out more about submitting an idea and the Council’s process for topic selection.