Zika: ethical considerations
The Council has published a briefing note on the ethical considerations relevant to the current Zika epidemic.
The note sets out general ethical considerations relating to the development of public health policies, including interventions to manage outbreaks of infectious disease, before addressing a number of key issues in the context of the Zika virus, including:
- Surveillance and data sharing
- Public engagement and communication
- Research into vaccines and treatments
- Approaches to mosquito control
- Maintaining a proportionate response
The briefing note draws on previously published Council reports on public health ethics, research in developing countries, solidarity, biological and health data and the regulation of emerging biotechnologies.
Download the briefing note Zika: ethical considerations