Genetically modified crops: the ethical and social issues
This report considers the ethical, social, and regulatory issues raised by the genetic modification of crops.
- To briefly review the developments on the genetic modification of crops and their impact on human food consumption and the environment.
- To identify and consider the ethical and social implications of these developments including:
- issues of food safety and public health
- issues of environmental protection
- the public interest and the maintenance of consumer choice and public confidence
- the appropriateness of the criteria used at present by regulatory bodies in the UK and in the EU
- the implications for less developed countries
- the implications of intellectual property issues
- the responsibilities of scientists in advising policy makers on these issues and to make recommendations.